Friday, September 9, 2011

The Latte 411 and a head's up on next week's specials

Have you ever wondered what exactly goes into that latte you just ordered? Let's say it's a 16 oz. Island Dream Latte.

For starters we steam milk of your choice to 160 degrees unless asked otherwise. We add the flavor of choice in the cup and in this case its the Island Dream. Island Dream flavor is a combination of coconut, raspberry and a hint of vanilla. The steamed milk is mixed together with the flavors and the shot of espresso, thus creating the latte you just ordered.

Lately at the coffee shop from 8 a.m.-1 p.m., we go through about six-eight gallons of whole milk and two-three gallons of fat free milk. We use up to five pounds of coffee grind for our house coffee and up to 10 pounds of whole beans a day. Myself, and my night shift barista, Marci, have a great time putting together all these drinks and making coffee life a little nicer.

As for me and my previous spot in the Student Union, I have been able to see some people from the SU, I guess they just can't go without getting their coffee from me. From 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., I am super busy and don't have a lot of time to talk to people and make new friends. However, from 1-3 p.m. are my management hours and I get to go around to the other coffee shops (Fireside and the Union Station) and see how everything is running, and see some familiar faces.

Besides being a full time barista, I am a student here at UAA. I am currently just taking two classes after work so that I can move toward my degree. My goal is to become a physical therapist with a sports injury focus. Having class and work can be a little stressful, but I'm getting better at it.

Heads up for next week's drink specials:
Monday: Cherry Jubilee Latte
Tuesday: Chocolate Covered Cherry Mocha
Wednesday: Strawberry and Cherry Smoothie
Thursday: Cherry Kiss White Chocolate Mocha
Friday: Cherry Limeade Italian Soda
Hope to see you at the coffee shop!
- Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment