Friday, September 2, 2011

At the library, just ask

Here’s the sad and awful truth: Back when I was an undergrad, I visited the university library only a few times, usually to find a quiet place to study away from my dorm room. I do NOT remember ever asking a librarian for assistance. I DO remember pulling at least one all-night writing session every term, struggling to eke out a term paper or research project. My problems always boiled down to the fact that I had failed to find enough materials to support my assignment, and what I had found was never really great.

They WANT your questions.
The lesson here is this: DO NOT be afraid to come to the library to get help with that intimidating research assignment lurking on your course syllabus. We have an approachable Reference Desk  right in the middle of our beautiful Great Room, staffed by librarians who are waiting and eager to help you. Just walk on in - no appointment necessary.

If you do want some individual attention, you can request a personal research consultation at time that works for you. Every academic department at UAA has a Librarian Liaison  that you can contact directly for targeted subject expertise.

Even if you can’t physically be here, there other convenient ways to Ask A Librarian  for assistance – via phone, email, or chat. If you visit the UAA/APU Consortium Library website, you’ll find a link to Find Articles by Subject, which displays a helpful list of the many Research Guides  that have been created by our own librarians.

No more excuses or regrets: contact a librarian sooner rather than later and you’ll save yourself a lot of time, energy, and frustration. They are here to help you; ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK!

No comments:

Post a Comment